Monday, 13 January 2014

My First Knitting Project of 2014: Cropped Jacket from 1954


2013 was not a very good year for knitting. I started the Cherry Cardigan, but I ended up abandoning it because I decided it would probably gape at the buttons across the bust. Also, knitting all that ribbing was really really dull. But I've determined to do some more knitting this year, and I've already started my first project. Behold the Cropped Jacket Cardigan.



This cardigan (or maybe it's bolero as it doesn't actually have any fastenings?) is from Housewife magazine November 1954, and I found it on Vintage Chic. The instructions are fairly minimal but perfectly succinct as long as you have some experience in knitting. It's knitted in moss stitch with a garter stitch border (that's seed stitch with a stockinette border for those of you in the U.S.) and the best thing is that it's knitted in 12 ply on 6.5mm kneedles so it knits up tremendously fast.


Moss stitch uses a lot of yarn and I had calculated the it would cost about $95 in Patons 12 ply to make the cardigan, which was a bit more than I wanted to spend. Luckily a fellow librarian told me about the Bendigo Woollen Mills. They are based in Bendigo, an historic gold-mining town not that far from Melbourne, and their yarn is made from Australian wool. Best of all, if you send them an email, they will send you all their shade cards for free!


Most of their yarns come in several plys, and I went with the Rustic 12 ply because it felt quite soft. The prices are incredibly reasonable, $11.50 for a 200g ball (that's 4 times the size of a normal ball of wool) and I think with postage the whole thing cost me $40. The shade I chose is a new one, Cinder Fleck. It is black with flecks of white and camel through it, which I thought would be a bit more interesting than just a plain black yarn. So far it's knitting up really quickly and the yarn soft while still having a lot of body. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your notes on ply and needle size. Do you remember who much wool you used.
    Thanks Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that should be how much wool.

      Delete