Thursday, 30 January 2014

Holiday in Tasmania

Last week Mr Macska and I went down to Tasmania for his parents' wedding anniversary and a little holiday. It was a lovely refreshing break from all the hot weather in Melbourne. I'm terrible at remembering to take photos when I'm out and about, but I did manage to snap a few. So here are some of the highlights of our trip:


Sailing a yacht under the Hobart Bridge. Yes, that's me at the tiller! Mr Macska's very good friend James took us out on his 40 ft yacht, and despite getting rather seasick I had a fantastic time. We even got to put the sail up.


Playing the pokies for the first time in my life and winning! I'm not really the gambling type, but when we happened to end up in a pokies pub for half-an-hour I thought why not? I put $1 into an Elvis-themed machine and won $9. I promptly collected my winnings and that was the end of that.


Catching the Striborg gig at MONA. Striborg is a one-man ambient black metal band from Tasmania, which sounds a bit like Burzum. He happened to be playing as part of MONA FOMA while we were there, so we caught the show, which was pretty cool, and I took a terrible photo in the dark!


One of the best things about the show was it was held next to the amazing new chapel at MONA which is by Wim Delvoye. It's a seven-sided Gothic-inspired structure made of rusted iron lacework with seven stained glass windows set into the central room. 


Of course because this is MONA the stained-glass windows depict the museum's main themes - sex and death. Some of the windows had giant maggots in leadlight, while these ones had x-rays of people engaged in...ahem... intimate acts.


The next day we headed up to Launceston for Mr Macska's parents' 40th wedding anniversary party. They owned a fabric shop for years, and I couldn't resist taking a photo of this amazing quilt that Mr Macska's dad made. It's almost three-dimensional, each little square sits up off the circle it's on. Beautiful work.


Gorgeous flowers at my mother's place, brightening up the day every time I walked past them.


Eating homemade profiteroles off my mother's amazing 1930s tea set. The pattern is "Carnival" by Royal Doulton, and it seems to be quite a rare colourway.



This lovely stretch sateen with roses on it that I didn't buy (curses!) in a fabric shop in Launceston. I did get some grey, black and white very large check silk to make a skirt thought.


And of course going through the old family photos. Me as a little child, my father called my ears "paper ears" because they were so soft and bendy.

No comments:

Post a Comment