Saturday, 3 August 2013

The Little Paris Kitchen



About a month ago I discovered a new cooking show on SBS. I'm not usually interested in programs about cooking, but a friend from work told me that the chef in question was like a cross between Nigella and Amelie, so I had to have a look!


Of course I'm talking about the lovely Rachel Khoo, a British girl who moved to Paris to study patisserie at Le Courdon Bleu, and who subsequently turned her one-room Paris flat into a restaurant so tiny that she could only seat two diners!


I fell in love with Rachel, who is cute, down-to-earth, and most of all, very real. Her food is classic homestyle French cooking with a twist. I can definitely see the Nigella in her (both women love cream and nice cardigans) and she charms every French person she meets. As well as showing her cooking in her miniscule kitchen (she only has a toaster oven!), her program has Rachel visiting some of her favourite food suppliers and places to eat in Paris, and taking inspiration from them.


Naturally there is a book, My Little Paris Kitchen. The recipes are a nice mixture of classic and adventurous. So far I've only tried the Potatoes Gratin, which was delicious, but I'm hoping to try more soon.


You can find the 12 recipes that were featured in the show on the BBC website.  I can't wait to try her Madeleines with Lemon Curd!

2 comments:

  1. I love her too! I feel more glamourous and capable just watching her x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not usually a fan of French food, but she is SO seductive I'm willing to giver her recipes a go!! I'm a little obsessed with her!! And Gizzi Erskine, she also has great style.
    No one tops Nigella, however! :)

    ReplyDelete