Me and Zoe in our finished costumes at Federation Square last Sunday afternoon. It was a race against the clock to finish these costumes - we were both extremely tired by the time it came to wear them.
Bit of a close-up backstage.
The belts were made in the same way as I made the collars - vinyl glued together. We strung the front pieces on belts made of some sheer gold and black sparkly fabric I had lying around.
We also made some cuffs out of gold lycra with strips of black vinyl glued in place - the stretch in the lycra means you could just slip them on and off easily with no fastenings.
I made the headdresses out of buckram, wired on the top and bottom. Then I covered them with gold lycra, stitched on the inside (pretty messily too, but I was in a hurry).
I sprayed the heads of some rubber cobras from the $2 shop. The paint was enamel, so it didn't take very well to the rubber, but I didn't have time to do a coat of primer.
I chopped the snake's head off and wired it to the front of the headdress, then glued a line of ric rac around it to make it more interesting.
For the Hathor horned-sun part, I used very thin MDF which was $3.50 for a huge sheet at Bunnings. Luckily our very nice neighbours lent me their jigsaw - I now see why power tools are so amazing, I cut them out in about 10 minutes, while using a little coping saw would have taken about 3 hours! Masked it off with masking tape...
And gave it a quick spray with some black spraypaint I had lying around.
After I'd masked off the black and sprayed it over with gold, it turned out like this.