Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Real Techniques Starter Kit Brushes review


Samantha Chapman, one half of YouTube makeup channel phenomenon Pixiwoo, has a collection of makeup brushes in partnership with Real Techniques.  They are very reasonably priced, ($18 for the starter set) and Alice from WAMP-Nation and I decided to buy some and see for ourselves what they were like.


We both bought the Starter Set, which is for the eyes and contains 5 brushes:
  • Base Shadow Brush
  • Deluxe Crease Brush
  • Accent Brush
  • Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush
  • Brow Brush
The brushes have a purple aluminium ferrule and an rubber handle, which means they are light.  The bristles are taklon (a synthetic) which makes them cruelty-free.


They come in a little black folding case with elastic straps, which can be folded in half the other way to make a little stand.  I found it a bit difficult to get the brushes in and out of the elastic straps owing to their rubber handles - the rubber kind of grips on the elastic, so I can't imagine I'd use the case.

So far I'm undecided about how much I like these.  The fattest of the brushes is the Deluxe Crease Brush, with the Base Shadow Brush being a bit flatter and smaller, which seemed strange to both me and Alice.  I found the Crease Brush to be a bit too big to fit into the crease of my eye, and it just put eyeshadow everywhere.  I do have very small eyelids though!  I think I will probably swap them around.


I like the Accent Brush a lot, as it is quite small and good for putting highlights in the corner of the eyes or under the eyebrows.  The Brow Brush is pretty standard but works well.
 The most disappointing was the Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush.  It is quite chunky, and doesn't go into a proper point at all, so although it is fine for thick lines, I cannot get a nice point on my liquid eyeliner flicks, which is very important for me.  I'd be better off using a fine paintbrush really.

I read a review of these brushes on Klaire de Lys and she mentioned that the ferrules are not very tight around the bristles, which means water can easily get into the handle while you are washing them.  On comparing them with my Body Shop brushes, I noticed that the metal of the ferrule doesn't seem to have been pinched as tightly around the bristles on the Real Techniques brushes, which is a pity.

So all things considered, these are decent brushes for the price, especially if you haven't got many others, but if you want quality you are going to have to pay more.

6 comments:

  1. Hy beautiful! Love your post! what do u say about following each other?:X

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear,
    maybe you would like to follow each other's blogs with GFC or via bloglovin? or even both?

    wolffashion.blogspot.com

    have a nice day!
    gV

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice review :)
    m ue newest follower

    Please follow my blog too and support me

    http://makeupholicworld.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabriele, I'd love to follow your blog, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Renji, thanks for following my blog, I've followed yours too :)

    ReplyDelete