Tuesday, 12 April 2011

April is the Month of Birthdays


So many of my friends and family have their birthdays in April, it's a whirlwind of card-making and cake-eating (not that I'm complaining!).  Here are Alice and I with our lovely friend John, who had a very grown-up dinner party at his new house, and showed me his gargantuan collection of 80's knitted jumpers and denim jackets.


I made this dress to go on my first date with Mr Macska.  It's a copy of one I have, and is very simple, like an off-the-shoulder peasant blouse with an attached tiered skirt.  I ran some elastic through the top, and there is a zip at the back.  It's made of cotton voile, and all the raw edges were finished with a zigzag stitch, so they create tiny ruffles.

The gold coin necklace was a present for my 24th birthday from my father. It's made from twelve Australian $5 coins.   These coins are not used in general circulation, they are just commemorative coin  that are 22 karat gold.  These ones have little monkeys one them as it was the year of the monkey in 2004.


In the middle is a Hungarian 10 korona coin from 1893, which was a present from my aunt in Hungary. It has Franz Josef I on one side, and the other   It makes me feel like a gypsy!


On Sunday I channeled my inner 1950s housewife and made a carrot cake with tiny marzipan carrots on the top (see it in the centre there?) for Mr Macska's birthday-afternoon eating-fest.  There was a whole lot more food than that, which didn't fit on the table!


This dress actually belonged to my Hungarian aunt, Kati, and my grandmother made it for her in the 1970s.  The fabric is a traditional Kalocsa or Matyo flower print, but in a 70s colourway (lots of orange and magenta).  I love the style, like a fitted wiggle-dress, with the sweetheart neckline, and a long back-split.  It even has little tabs under the shoulder straps to keep your bra straps in place!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE that last dress - I would steal it if you weren't looking haha ;-)

    Awesome that you call your man Mr Macska - meow haha. Cute :-D

    I'm bummed that mum left all her good clothes back in The Old Country (as she calls it). I have harassed her to harass the old ladies in my family to cough up any 40's/50's clothes they may have hung on to. No returns as yet. Its a bit of a strange thing not to have much family to call on for such things - they're all so far away. Dad tells me he used to MAKE shoes for mum - crazy cork wedges and jeans and jackets. Gah - make some for meeee! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's great isn't it! I was thinking of getting the flower pattern printed on some fabric, through Spoonflower or something.
    My dad used to make clothes for my mum too! I've got a really cool 70s A-line skirt made out of bands of brown leather and caramel suede that he made for her.

    ReplyDelete