Thursday, 3 February 2011

Beauty Alphabet - O


O is for Ostrich

 "Of course you must never be an ostrich to your beauty faults.  Bring your head up out of that sand, analyse your good points and your bad, then DO something about the bad.  Whatever your imperfections are, they can be remedied or camouflaged.

Overweight is the problem of many women as time passes - and even of younger women.  But their is a cure for overweight: a good diet chart, determination, and a reasonable amount of exercise. If you're underweight, beware of wrinkles and drawn lines.  Try a fattening diet and watch the youth and vitality reappear in your face as you become plump.

Perhaps you think time is taking a toll on your beauty.  But you can be as beautiful at 35 as you were at 20 IF you accept your years and make the most of what they have given you.  With correct dressing and beauty care you can have a maturity and graciousness which younger women lack.

The woman who faces herself in the mirror and honestly notes her beauty faults has taken the first step towards becoming more charming, more gracious and more beautiful."

(from The Argus, 30 November 1950)


Here is the second part of the 500 Beauty Hints from 1959 that I promised to post a while back.  The first half is here.  This diet plan is interesting in that it recommends a glass of milk every night with dinner.




The 'perfect leg' is given here as having a 15" lower thigh measurement, a 13.5" calf, and an 8.5" ankle.  I just measured my leg, and needless to say, found that I would have to have much thinner thighs and slightly shapelier calves to qualify, but I am suprised to find that my ankles are actually smaller than the desired measurement.  I distinctly remember realising one day that although I didn't have cancles, I didn't have beautiful slender ankles either, so it was interesting to note that very thin ankles were not considered the pinnacle of beauty in 1959.  I still wish I had them though!

 

The article recommends keeping a little stash of useful things in your desk drawer at work, including
  • makeup and makeup remover pads
  • soap, washcloth and small hand towel
  • hairbrush, comb, bobby pins
  • emery boards, nail polish and polish remover
  • toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant
  • tissues, pins, a clothes brush, and a makeup cape (to protect your clothes when you apply makeup)
  • perfume, spare stockings and gloves
I wondered how I measured up to this list, and did a quick check of my desk drawers.  This is what I came up with:
  • I don't keep makeup at work, but I do always carry in my handbag a powder compact, two lipsticks (one red, one neutral), red lipliner, concealer, tissues, and a comb.
  • No soap in my desk (surprise surprise!) but I do have hand cream and tampons
  • Comb, bobby pins and hairspray
  • Emery board, clear nail polish, but no polish remover (can you imagine re-doing your nails at work?  The smell of acetone would kill everyone!)
  • I've failed on the dental hygiene front - not a toothbrush in sight. I can imagine that would be a good thing to have at work, and I might add a little travel one to my desk drawer.
  • Other things I have in my desk drawer are: an iPod charging cord, two tape measures (the retractable kind, and the flexible sewing kind), cough lollies, an assortment of safety pins, and a sewing kit.
What do you have in your drawers at work?

2 comments:

  1. I love these argus posts, quite amusing! They remind me of a collection of cosmopolitan hand books I have from the 60s & 70s, including one called 'the cosmopolitan guide to etiquette'. Absolute treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh! I have turned my studio upside down and i cannot find my make-up cape! jxx

    ReplyDelete