Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Stylish Blog Award


I'm so flattered to be given this award by Islandgirl from I've Got an Island, who has a lovely blog full of vintage images. Thank you so much!

The conditions of this award are:
1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award
2. Share 7 things about yourself
3. Award 10 recently discovered great bloggers
4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award

Ok, seven things about myself...



1. When I was a child, I wanted to be a pirate when I grew up. Not just any pirate either, but the pirate captain. I used to practice holding a knife in my teeth (for when I was climbing the rigging) and longed for a hat with a huge feather.



2. While at University, I had a part-time job as an artist's model. The best fun I had was modelling for a lovely artist in his 80s, called Max Middleton. We went down to the beach to take photos, and his wife packed us tinned asparagus sandwiches to eat. He was a perfect gentleman, and it was all quite jolly. The painting above is not of me (I'm a bit too shy to show you that) but one of a whole series he painted of girls by the sea. He also paints landscapes and all sorts of other things. More of his paintings can be seen here.


3. I have a huge crush on Gomez Addams. He's practically the perfect man - he's handsome, has a great sense of humour, dresses stylishly (pin-stripe suits, smoking jackets, and, my personal favourite, sock suspenders), is deliriously romantic, and filthy rich. What's not to love?



4. I cannot even begin to explain how much I loathe tuna. The smell is just repulsive. Even if I was starving, I don't know if I could force myself to eat tuna.


5. I LOVE books. I like reading them, of course, but I also like them just as physical objects. Some old leather bindings are really very beautiful, and since doing those bookbinding courses, I know how much time and effort it takes to make a book look that good. It also makes me happy thinking of all the knowledge in the world being trapped within their pages, just waiting to get out into someone's head.



6. The most embarrassing thing I've ever done was to turn up to Friday night dinner with my Jewish boyfriend's parents wearing an iron cross as a necklace. I was going through a bit of a punk phase at the time, and just thought it looked rather tough. I had no idea that it was one of the highest Nazi medals! No-one said anything, but when I realised a couple of weeks later, I nearly died!


7. I've kept a diary ever since I was 6 years old. My first diary was white with rainbow-coloured hearts, pink and purple paper, and a lock. Nowadays, I prefer a Moleskine notebook or a hardback sketchbook. I don't write everyday, and sometimes there are weeks where I don't write anything at all. An ex-boyfriend described it as "very Samuel Pepys-ish", as I tend to write about what I'm wearing, eating, doing etc. It's great being able to go back and see what I thought when I was say, 14, and read about things I'd forgotten.

And here are the 8 recently discovered great bloggers I found (I ran out of time!), in no particular order:

How Was Your Day Darling?
Baxter Street
Miss Retro's Blog
Behind the Curtain
Tales from a Vintage Wardrobe
A Sip of Sarsaparilla
$25 Vintage
The Freelancer's Fashionblog

2 comments:

  1. Thank's so much for this award, Piroska! What a nice way to start off my morning...

    And the best thing about it is that it led me to your wonderful blog, which I had discovered a while ago and then somehow lost track of. You're back on my reading list again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Piroska,
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get over here to thank you for my award~~and like Sarsaparilla I'm so please it led me to your fabulous blog! I will get working on my Award post as soon as I have a spare minute.
    Thank you for choosing "Tales".....~M.

    ReplyDelete