Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Beach Fashions from 1950

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you all had a lovely Christmas/Hanukkah/Solstice and a thrilling New Year's Eve. I've been in Tasmania with my parents, but no internet, hence no posts.

Continuing in our beachy theme, and seeing as it is summer here, I thought I'd put up this article on Summer Beach Fashions from Life magazine in 1950. As usual, click on the pictures to make them big enough to read.


"American women...have long ago rejected France's famous beachwear innovation, the scanty, two-piece Bikini bathing suit. The two-piece suit in general is running a poor second this summer to the one-piece suit." Also note the remark about the shortness of French models' legs!




I love these 'pirate' pants, although they look tight enough to be cutting off the model's circulation.


The swimsuit on the far right looks rather Tinkerbell-ish to me with it's pretty pointed edge, although the caption says it is made of orange nylon taffeta. Apparently orange was the "newest high-style shade" for 1950.

1 comment: