Thursday, 9 September 2010

Vintage Style: Clothes Colour Chart

Spring is right on time in Melbourne, with lots of windy, sunny days. It's still quite nippy, but this morning I thought I just couldn't endure another day of stockings and wool skirts, and then had a complete crisis about what to wear, and created a complete floordrobe (it's a wardrobe on your floor!) by throwing all my clothes around and uttering the immortal line "I've got nothing to wear!"


Obviously this got me thinking about my spring/summer wardrobe, and for this week's Vintage Style post I though I'd share with you a colour chart I found in the Australian Women's Complete Household Guide. These type of charts were popular in the 50s in books about style and choosing your clothing, but this one is particularly nice. I am strangely attracted by the women's heads floating unperturbed in space with their perky expressions and perfect hair.


I'm never quite sure with these things whether one is supposed to go with one's natural colouring (which would make me a Mid Blonde) or the colour that one has been dying one's hair for the past 12 years (which would make me a Brunette). I'm going with the latter. Apparently I should wear all the pinky-reds, shocking-pink, reds with blue in them, black, white, grey, green, blue-greens, green-blues, blue, and blue violet. I should avoid yellow-reds, orange, yellow-greens, beige.

On the whole, I'd have to agree with this analysis, as almost all shades of blue and blueish greens and blue toned purples suit me, as do most pinks except the really pale ones. I do find that reds with blue in them look awful on me though, but I'll agree with avoiding anything orange or beige. Do you agree with the colours the Colour Chart picked out for you?

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I too love the floating heads. According to this chart I am a "warm brownette". But unfortunately I live in an area of not-so-great fabric choice, so there's no point deciding I'm going to make a dress in warm green-yellow wool when the only colors available are black, gray and tan.

    Have you seen the Selfish Seamstress's take on these color charts? She points out that they are definitely a holdover from a whiter world of fashion. Still fun to play with, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very white, those colour charts, which is not suprising in the 50s, as almost all magazines and homemaking books were aimed at white women, but a bit worrying when you think that they are still using these charts in style books of today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah awesome! I'm a warm brownette as well but my hair is kinda red at the moment. Good to see that most of those colours I have in my wardrobe already but I do stay away from browns even though I know some suit me.

    ReplyDelete