Friday, 14 May 2010

Red Dior


Possibly I have been living under a rock, but how come I have never heard of this amazing designer before? His name is Slava Zeitsev, and he is apparently one of Russia's top fashion designers.

He's been around since 1962, when he became the artistic director of the Experimental Technical Garment Factory, which produced clothes for retail stores in Moscow. His 1963 collection, for workers on collective farms, featured chic and multicoloured versions of the Soviet telogreika (quilted jackets and pants), valenki (traditional felt boots) and Pavlovsky Posad shawl inspired skirts (like the ones in the photo below). Although the collection was not approved for production, it brought him to the attention of the international media, and the French press later dubbed him the 'Red Dior'.


This is one of my favourite collections, which was shown in Delhi in 2008. I am in love with the full skirts and matching jackets made of the beautiful Russian shawl-type fabric. The fur 'ears' are slightly insane, but I like the whole look!


These pictures (above and below) are from Russian Fashion Week, Fall 2009. A bit darker, more Eastern influence, the red outfit looks almost Turkish. See more pics at Coutorture.




The picture below is also from 2009, and this collection has a slightly 20's feel with cloche hats and big fur collars. See more at Monsters and Critics.

These photos are from his Autumn/Winter 2010/2011 collection. More pics at RT.

This hat is amazing, a real sculpture. I love things on people's heads!

There's a slighly Elizabethan flavour to this velvet and gold number.


Of course, it wouldn't be Slava Zaitsev without some Russian floral-print stuff. It makes me want to stick half a dozen huge flowers on my head and whip myself up a ruffled bolero!

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is WOW! These are incredible...

    I had never heard of Slava Zeitsev either. (But I definitely know that I have been living under a rock - and my kids will vouche for that!)

    You're right - the hats are especially amazing. I am inspired....thanks!

    ReplyDelete