Monday, 1 March 2010

Red Door Burlesque


Last night I went to a great burlesque performance at The Order of Melbourne, called Red Door Burlesque. It is hosted by the lovely ladies from Hi Ball Burlesque (pictured above in a photo from their fan dance finale), and includes special guests such as the amazing Anna Pocket Rocket, who brings a circus element to the show, with hula hooping and trapeze acts. I forgot to take my camera, but there are a couple of lovely photos on Vintage Suburbia's blog. I met up with her (dressed in immaculate vintage) and her very dapper husband on the night.

Red Door Burlesque is held on the last Sunday of every month, and is well worth checking out for a classy show with lots of sequins, diamantes and feathers, gorgeous girls and fantastic underwear! I particularly liked Rusty Nail's fan dance, and Brandy Alexander's secretary routine, and Andrew McClelland was hilariously silly as the MC. Although we rocked up a little late, two lovely older gentlemen let us share their table. One of them was the over-70s World Champion Triathalete, which was very impressive.


This photo is a little late, but I had to wait for my uncle to email it to me. My cousin Bella and I heading off into the city on St Valentine's Day to eat Harajuku Crepes and go shopping. Bella is a really talented seamstress, and made her dress without a pattern I believe. My dress is from Vintage Clothing, the cardigan is an old one from Portmans, and I picked the little handbag up at Vintage Fair in Launceston when I was down there at Christmas. It is navy blue crocheted raffia, with a lucite inlaid frame.

1 comment:

  1. Dear S, lovely to see you again last night. I love your 50's blue dress - it is sooo Betty Draper its not funny. Unfortunately I can't wear those empire line type bodices as my ribs are too wide (I have thought of surgically removing some of them - but perhaps too extreme?). Love the handbag - just the mention of lucite makes me swoon - is my dream to get a pure lucite bag (and then be too scared to take it out in public for fear it will break!). Hope the students are nice to you this week, Best, Maria :)

    ReplyDelete