Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Millinery Course


I'm rather excited to be starting a short course in millinery at the CAE this Thursday evening. I've been wanting to have a go at this for a while, so I hope it's as much fun as I am imagining! For our first class we have to bring the ingredients to make a fascinator. Unfortunately, fascinators in my mind are synonymous with drunk bogans at the Melbourne Cup, like these delightful ladies below.

I think the thing to avoid is an excess of stripped cocktail feathers, which although perfectly nice when used in restraint, seem to be the main ingredient of cheap and cheerful fascinators. I'm going to try for a more restrained (and I hope, classy) version in grey silk dupion on a teardrop shaped base, with some small poisonous green emu feathers, and grey veiling. Photos will follow hopefully. I'll leave you with some examples of hats by the very talented Philip Treacy, the pinnacle of modern millinery.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, those hats are fantastic! I esp like the Royal Ascot outfit - would love to wear something like that to the races (except I never go, because of the ferals so elegantly pictured below your Royal Ascot!). Can't wait to see your creation, I bet it will be gorg.
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these vintage hats so much ? where did you get these interesting photos sweety ?you have a great sense of fashion!

    ReplyDelete