Tuesday, 9 March 2010

A Good Woman


Browsing around my local video shop the other day, I came across A Good Woman, a film from 2004 starring Scarlett Johansson and Helen Hunt. The plot is based on Oscar Wilde's play Lady Windemere's Fan, although transposed to 1930s Italy. It is a reasonably enjoyable film, nothing special, and certainly has none of the wit of the original. However, the costumes are rather nice.


I must confess I can watch the most awful dross as long as the costumes are interesting. Look at that lovely spotted dress Meg Windermere is wearing above, with a swoopy hat trimmed in the same fabric.


I'm also rather fond of this pale blue hat with its rosette of white cording.


Helen Hunt as Mrs Erlynne also had some lovely costumes, although I can only find a picture of this one. I love the cut jet beads, and that hat with the finest wisp of veiling at the front. So elegant.


My favourite however, was this dress which I cannot find a full-length picture of. The colours and the pattern, which looks like pansies, is just what I think of when I think of the 30's, and look at the sheer brim on that hat! The pattern of the dress actually reminds me of this china pattern, which is also from the 1930s. The pattern is called "Raymond", and is by Alfred Meakin. I picked up a set like this, plus four dessert bowls and four entree plates. I've never had any really nice china before, so I'm rather excited. I'm going to try and collect some of the other pieces in the set, as they are quite common.

1 comment:

  1. S, what a beautiful post! I loved that film too (agree, passable film, but fantastic costumes. I saw 'A Single Man' on Sunday which was set in the 60's. A little thin for 60's women's fashion (plot really only involves Colin Firth's character - wearing lovely suits of course) but a really lovely film visually. I am looking forward to 'The Last Station' - film about Tolstoy. Cheers, Maria

    ReplyDelete