Monday, 11 January 2010

I've Got Knits


Although the weather here is bordering on the obscene (come on, 43 degrees C?), I've rekindled my love of knitting. I'm getting stuck into my Spring Fling, which I'm making out of Rowan Wool Cotton in a grey-blue. The ribbing should help the garment keep its shape, which can be a problem when using a cotton or cotton blend yarn.

I've also started making a cropped version of the Goth Girl sweater from Pretty in Punk: 25 Punk, Rock and Goth Knitting Projects. I was a bit disappointed with the book after I bought it, for although the photography and styling is lovely, the actual projects are very basic, with most using no shaping. However, my cousin Alice (from Wamp-Nation), wants a holey angora sweater, so I'm making one for her from this pattern. It was meant to be a Christmas present, but the 12mm circular needles are giving me a hard time, so it's a bit slower than I anticipated!


Here are some of the vintage-inspired cardigans and sweaters I am hoping to tackle this year. The first is the Cherry Cardi by Sasha Kagan, which was in Knit.1 #4. It's a simple rib with shaping, but I love the 3-D cherries on the shoulders. I've been meaning to make this for a long time.


Next is the Leafy Lace Cardi by soobeeoz, which you can download for free from the Craftster website here. It looks very pretty and feminine, and also quite light, plus I love three-quarter sleeves.


I almost want to knit this cardigan in the hope that when I put it on, I'll turn into this lady! What fantastic hair, and what a great expression! It's called the Blackberry Cardigan and is by Jane Waller and Susan Crawford, from the book A Stitch in Time: Knitting and Crochet Patterns from 1920 - 1949. I think it would be lovely in a dark blackish-purple, like a real blackberry.


I also quite fancy this Sun-Ray Ribbing sweater, also from A Stitch in Time. Modelled by the lovely Fleur de Guerre, who has a very classy blog over at Diary of a Vintage Girl.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! 43Celsius is way over the border, well into obscene! I couldn't believe when I converted (or rather, let google convert for me) into Fahrenheit. If it goes much above 37C around here, I hang out in the air-conditioned shops all day and feel sorry for myself! Lovely knitting plans -- I'm a little bit off knitting myself lately, but I have a lot of yarn so I have to do it anyway!

    ReplyDelete