Thursday, 7 January 2010

Happy New Year!


Yikes, I'm a bit late, but I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas (or pleasant non-religious holiday) and a great New Year. I'm still settling into my new flat, boxes absolutely everywhere. I seem to have misplaced the power cord to my sewing machine, which is a little frustrating, but I'm sure it will turn up eventually. I've never lived in an apartment before, and it takes a little getting used to. One of my friends described it as like "living with housemates you never see", and now I see why: you can hear people moving around in their own flats, but you don't actually know them. A bit weird, and I'm having to sleep with earplugs so I don't keep waking up in the middle of the night, but like anything I'm sure it will become the norm eventually.

Since having moved, I'm without a computer of my own, so I can't post any photos. This is a bit of a pain, as I've got quite a lot of interesting things to show, including some completed sewing projects, knitting on the go, and some nice vintage stuff I picked up in Tasmania. Soon, my pretties, soon!

I am captivated by Tudor and Elizabethan England, and am having a lovely time reading this book, Elizabeth's London: Everyday Life in Elizabethan London by Liza Picard. She takes the reader through every aspect of daily life, from how houses were built, to what people's table manners were like, attitudes to sex and religion, transport, servants, everything one wants to know. The best thing is that it is written in such a delightfully chatty and knowledgeable way, by someone who obviously finds the subject endlessly fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment