Wednesday, 10 September 2008

Biscornu Swap


I'd never heard of a biscornu until a few weeks ago, but apparently they are little eight sided embroidered pillows, usually used as pin cushions. There is a good tutorial here, although it is all in French, it's quite easy to work out what to do. I'm always up for trying something new, so I joined a Halloween biscornu swap on Swap-Bot, but I'm still figuring mine out. However, here is the one that arrived from my swap partner, Spuraway from Canada. I love the little spiders on it, and she also sent some cute buttons and some thread, check out the little ghost buttons.


These are wonderful little needle holders made by hand in Australia out of recycled Redwood fence posts! My aunt bought them for me from the Hawthorn Craft Market. They are so beatifully painted and detailed, and they come in many different styles. The pirate and black mama are needle holders, and the girl with the flowers is a very sharp stitch ripper.

2 comments:

  1. I just love your needle holders! is there an address on the paperwork that came with them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately not even a name, I only know that the guy who makes them is always at the Hawthorne Craft Market in Melbourne. Their website is http://www.boroondara.vic.gov.au/leisure/attractions/craftmarket, there's a phone number, so perhaps if you call them they will have contact details for him? He makes lots of little carved wooden things in a similar style.

    ReplyDelete