Sunday, 3 August 2008

My Third Book


When the teacher brought out the leather for our final book, there was black, navy blue, red...and rose-gold metallic leather! How could I resist! The book is hollow backed and half-bound in leather with three raised bands on the spine (two at the head and one at the foot). The rest of the case is covered in emerald green buckram. As you can see below, it has sewn in endpapers of some nice hand marbled paper.


It was a bit of a nightmare to bind, the leather was very resistant to being folded, and you have to work fairly quickly to get it all tucked in and rubbed down before the paste dries. I thought it was a disaster, but once I put the buckram on, it looked much neater and more finished. The leather is not really pulled tightly enough over the spine, but with the metallic leather it actually doesn't look too bad. Even though it's so difficult, it's addictive when you see the finished product. I'm looking forward to my next leather bound book...

No comments:

Post a Comment