Saturday, 28 June 2008

Crisis Averted

I am becoming mighty sick of knitting my Minimalist Cardigan, mainly because it's been on my needles for months and months. Wanting to finish it while the weather was still cold, I started knitting like a demon, and was half way up the first sleeve when I realised I only had one ball of wool left! I'm sure I bought 9 balls of exactly the same yardage as is said in the pattern, but something has gone very, very wrong along the way. I made an emergency phone call to my mother (my excuse: the shop where I bought this yarn from is a 4 hour round trip from my house on public transport) and she managed to find two extra balls. Apparently the colour has been discontinued, so I was lucky. Now to finish this bloody cardigan!

This is a card I made for my father's birthday next week. I'm actually organised for the first time in ages, and managed to post card and present off in time! It's a Hungarian girl in traditional Matyo dress, from the town of Mezðkövesd, which I visited last year. They have the most beautiful outfits, and yes, those are supposed to be giant woolen pompoms on her head, like the woman on the right in the picture below. That's what married women used to wear! Matyo outfits are totally different from all the other folk costumes in Hungary, and I think they are the most elegant and beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment