Friday, 4 April 2008

Rowan

Last week I made a pilgrimage to what is, in my mind, one of the nicest yarn shops in Melbourne, Sunspun. It took me one and a half hours to get there on public transport, but it was worth it to gaze adoringly at all that beautiful yarn. I also made my first Rowan purchase ever, 8 balls of Wool Cotton in Inky. I'm going to make the Spring Fling cardigan from Knitty, but with longer sleeves, down just past the elbow. Now the wool is sitting on my shelf, and I'm being strict with myself and finishing a few things before I even cast on for a gauge square.


One thing I have finished are the mittens I was making for my cousin in London. At her request I embroidered her initials on the back. They were very easy to make, hopefully it will still be cold in England by the time they arrive there!

Pattern: Garter-Cuff Mittens by Deborah Newton
Source: Weekend Knitting
Yarn: Patons Merino DK 8ply
Needles: 3.5mm
Modifications: I shortened the mitten by about an inch as they seemed a bit long and floppy, and made the cuffs a bit longer because Alice's wrists get cold

Also last week, my copy of Interweave Knits Fall 2007 arrived in the mail. I have been yearning to knit the Minimalist Cardigan for a while now, and despaired of ever getting my hand on a copy of the pattern, but through the magical world that is Ravelry, I had found someone who with a spare copy. The day after it arrived, I recieved an email from Interweave saying that they have just added that pattern to their shop to download for $5.50! Oh well, at least I have the rest of the magazine to read... Anyway, I have decided on Naturally Merino et Soie, in a rather nice dark gunmetal grey, the silk gives it a slightly metallic sheen.



Funnily enough, my mother is now knitting the same cardigan with the same yarn at the same time, only hers is purple, so we will have a minature knitalong together and compare notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment