On Wednesday nights I've been going to a bookbinding course at RMIT Brunswick, something I've been wanting to do for a long time. It's just as interesting as I hoped it would be, and over the fifteen week course we will be making three books. Well, I just finished my first one, an A5 hardback book with plain pages, half-bound with a rounded spine! It's far from perfect but I'm pretty pleased with my first effort.
There's quite a lot of steps in hand binding a book, and I found a great photo tutorial by Dave the Designer, which shows it step by step. We even got to gold block the cover (or in my case, silver block) using amazing old brass wheels that have to be heated up and then rolled over the foil and book cover. It's quite tricky to apply the pattern evenly.
My first Malabrigo purchase arrived last week, from Yarnandkisses, which has just started selling Malabrigo in Australia. I chose Sealing Wax, hoping for a bright red, but as you can see, while a delightful colour, it is definately more orange than red. Unfortunately, I look terrible in orange, so I was in a bit of a quandry. Lovely Jolene from Yarnandkisses offered to swap the skeins for another colour, but in the end I swapped them with my mother who knits a lot and she also likes the colour orange! The wool was so soft and lovely though, that I ended up ordering some more, in Tuareg, so we shall have to see how that turns out.